Saturday, May 19, 2012

Charlton Park Day

My feet hurt. From 10:30 to 4:00 today, I was standing up, and rubbing my fingers raw by teaching small children how to put a button on a string and turn it into a yo-yo-type toy. I broke three strings myself, I put my example toys through so much stress. Oh well, it was great fun, even if it was exhausting. Today was Charlton Park Day. I was working in the Lee Schoolhouse, and spending my little break time reading the schoolbook. I wore my hoop skirt, since it was in the mid-eighties, and there were several little girls in awe of the 'pretty lady'. I particularly liked one little cutie, about two years old. She was almost speechless, barely daring to reach out and touch the gingham fabric, and whispering 'pretty' every once in a while. Her grandma was trying to take a picture of her, but she refused to take her eyes off me long enough to smile for the camera! Imagine the wonders it did for my pride. I'm afraid I shall have quite a swelled head after this. ;) Charlton Park is an amazing place, though, and I'm delighted to volunteer there. Despite the sore feet.

~Emma the Button Lady. 

No comments:

Post a Comment